MADERA - The Madera District Fair kicks off it's eightieth year on September 7th for a four day run. The 3-digit temperatures have been put on hold as this weekend will be California classic summer weather with no day being over 94 degrees.
The theme this year is a commemoration of the last 80 years of the fair with historical photos from fairs past and some good old fashioned fun. Of course you know about the contests listed in the premium book like photography or quilting, but there will also be pop up contests through-out the grounds in which everyone can participate.
Here's a peek at the 10 must see features :
1. Check out TECH TOWN, a venue designed to show you technological advances in engineering, gaming, computing and more! Madera Fair is partnered with the nationally ranked Madera High School robotics team, Madtown Robotics to bring you an interactive display. New in 2017 is an e-gamers dream, a 16 bracket gaming tournament on-site, fresh VR experiences, an expanding robotic field and a "build it station" to test your own robotic skills. You can also find free charging stations for your devices.
2. KIDS TOWN, an open park-like feel with plenty of tables and umbrellas by day and beautiful market lighting by night! Visit the new Stingray Encounter, let the kids have some fun at Clown University or perhaps take a stab at a leading role in the Circus with Circus Imagination's crowd pleasing show. In Kids Town you'll find the amphitheater stage with a daily schedule to entertain and even hypnotize you by the likes of Hypnotist Kellie Karl.
3. FAIR FOOD, need we say more? Cruise Madera Fair's friendly concourse to your heart's culinary delight. You can start with the quintessential corn dog and cotton candy to BBQ, soft tacos to cinnamon rolls, Chinese to kettle corn, pretzels, ice cream and more! Lots of options to wet your whistle too! Our tip for saving a little money, the best bets for bottled water is the 20/30 and Pan-American booths on the main drag.
4. LIVESTOCK exhibits and auctions are found in our barns and livestock arena beginning even before the Fair officially opens. Youth exhibitors, some of Madera County's finest, show their livestock projects whether in breed, market or showmanship. Satisfying your curiosity to get up close and personal with cattle, pigs, sheep, goats and more awaits you in the barn. Of course buyers new and old are warmly welcomed Saturday, September 9th to the annual Junior Livestock Auction. Buyer check-in begins at 11am and that live auction biddin' action starts at oon. If you're a buyer make sure to get there early for the buyer's lunch hosted by the Madera Breakfast Lions Club. You get a great tri-tip lunch and you're supporting local youth!
5. The Table Mountain CONCERT SERIES presented by Tecate Light is an ALL FREE festival venue for 2017. This means with your paid gate admission you simply make your way to the venue, find your seat or make your way right up front and center in a standing only area with this years stellar entertainment. Thursday, Sept 7th, Gary Allan opens at 7:30 pm, followed by Kool & the Gang Friday, Sept 8th at 8:00 pm. Saturday, Sept 9th, Eddie Money lights up the stage at 8:00 pm. On Sunday, Sept 10th, the concert series closes out with not one but two entertainers back to back! Banda Carnaval and Conjunto Primavera starting at 7:30 pm. The Madera Rotary is out there to set you up with all your refreshments and the coldest beer in the fair. Remember the concerts are ALL FREE with your paid admission, can you say Yes?!
6. GROUND ACTS and ENTERTAINMENT galore. All over Madera District fairgrounds in halls, on stages and in the open air you can expect magicians, jugglers, balloon artists and more! Make sure the kiddos get to see the Alaskan Racing Pigs or sign-up onsite to race the Pedal Pushers, a kiddie tractor pull - of sorts. Take a peek at Brad's World of Reptiles, including a pet alligator and while you're there spend some time at the hands-on display called Mind Works, a STEM inspired interactive spot. While there will be community acts on all the stages through-out the fair, on Thursday and Saturday after 9pm you can take the patio stage with a karaoke mike. Missing last year, karaoke is back for two nights so you can show the community your talents. Songs from the 50's thru current pop hits will be available for you to sing out in front of all your friends..
7. It wouldn't be the fair without the MIDWAY of FUN and it's 25 thrilling rides and rows of games! Ride the Ferris wheel, drop an electric 80 feet on The Hammer or take the kiddos over to the kiddie rides. It's all here and it's all thrilling! Pre-sale carnival coupons are available at a low $20 online at maderafair.com, in the office or visit sponsor Rancho San Miguel right here in Madera thru September 6th.
8. 20/30 STAGE located on the 20/30 field nightly hosts an after-concert show. YES. Madera Fair is excited to host another round of musical entertainment that kicks up immediately following the Headline stage, at approximately 9:00 pm. Thursday, Sept 7th we welcome “Midnight Run”, the Sounds of Journey. Friday, Sept. 8th “Foreigner Unauthorized” rocks the stage. On Saturday, Sept. 9th, up and coming Jackson Michelson will knock your socks off! Sunday, Sept. 10th, "Fresh" will close out the After Show line-up. And while you are over by the 20/30 booth, check out their famous tri-tip sandwiches. And after you've filled up, check out the 'cigar guy' booth across the picnic tables next to the roller rink.
9. EXHIBIT HALL. Since 1937, the Exhibit Hall walls have proudly displayed the county's finest handiwork from art to photography, baked goods to preserves, textiles, quilting, crafting and more. This year, Madera Fair's 80th is no exception! Visit the hall and those who keep the exhibiting tradition alive. Check fair schedules for demos and live judging of our special foods contests including; Homegrown Pies, BBQ Ribs, Cupcake Wars and Salsa. Bragging rights, Blue Ribbons, the Winner's Circle, and cash are all up for grabs.
10. VENDORS fill the air-conditioned Hatfield Hall to the brim this year! There are plenty of unique things to purchase, sample and gather information on and all in a comfortably "chilled out" space. Visit our website under “Vendors” for a full list of what to see and experience.
This has been your fair since 1937 and you are guaranteed a great time. There is something for everyone this year at the fair. More benches and tables for relaxing and people watching, free shows, great food. There is no reason not to come out and have a great time.
Pre-Sale admission and Carnival Coupons are available online, in the fair office and at Madera’s Rancho San Miguel. With so many great features, you may be interested in our season pass for $25, available at Madera Fair office only, that gets you in every night of the Fair! All bargains and season passes available through September 6th.